Frequently Asked Questions

Due to small class sizes, many courses fill quickly. We recommend that you apply well in advance of the deadline. If spaces are available, we will accept students into the program until the day classes begin. If a course is full, you may be placed on a waiting list.

The University of Toronto will always look at your high school and university grades when making a decision about admission. If your academic qualifications meet University requirements, but you do not have adequate English proficiency, then the English Language Program’s Academic English program can help you satisfy the language-facility requirement. 

At the University of Toronto, undergraduate and most graduate courses require a final “Grade B” in Academic English Level 60 to satisfy the English language-facility requirements. Please note: Each graduate studies program has its own admission requirements. Learners are advised to contact individual departments for specific admission details.

There is no single test. International students must demonstrate a high level of English proficiency in order to be admitted to the University of Toronto. Please visit the University of Toronto Enrolment Services web page to find out if you meet the English language-facility requirements. 

The English Language Program’s Academic English course can help you meet the University’s language-facility requirements for English. It will also help you prepare for university studies. “Grade B” or above in Academic English Level 60 satisfies the language-facility requirement for admission to undergraduate and most graduate programs at the University of Toronto. Students are advised to contact their faculty for more information on specific English-language requirements.

No. Anyone 17 years of age or older may enrol in our English Language Program courses. When you first arrive, you will be required to take a placement test. Your test scores will determine which classes can best serve your learning goals.

Yes. Anyone 17 years of age or older may enrol in our English Language Program courses.

Students aged 17

Even if you do not require a Visa/Study Permit to attend our program we strongly suggest that all students who are minors (aged under 18 in Ontario) have a Custodian if they are traveling alone (without their parents or another adult escort or chaperone who will act ‘in loco parentis’). The Custodian must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and over 19 years old.

To arrange for someone to become your legal Custodian, you will need to complete a custodianship form.
This form must be:

  • Notarized by your parents/legal guardians from your home country
  • Notarized by your Canadian custodian
  • Valid for the length of time that you’ll be living in Ontario under the age of 18

This documentation may be required by a Canadian immigration officer. If you are aged between the age of 17 and 18, it is at the discretion of the immigration officer to require or waive the custodianship requirement.

For additional information about custodianship, please contact the Canadian visa office in your home country, or speak with a Citizenship and Immigration Canada representative.

The English Language Program does not provide custodianship services – you must find a custodian yourself. There are a number of organizations that offer custodianship services.

One of our homestay providers, Canada Homestay Network, can provide custodianship for students staying in their homestay accommodation.

You may be eligible for a tuition-fee refund if you cancel your registration. All refund requests must be made in writing. Please refer to our Registration Policies for refund deadlines. 

If Citizenship and Immigration Canada denies your application, you must immediately contact us in writing. To issue a full refund of course tuition and health fees, we must receive your written request for withdrawal along with the original letter refusing entry that was issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The University of Toronto must receive both documents before the first day of class in order to provide a refund. 

Please see our Registration Policies.

Yes. Please see our Health Insurance and Services page.

No. All classroom materials are included in the tuition fee. There are no additional required textbook costs once you pay your registration fees.

No. Financial assistance is not available for students enroled in the English Language Program. We make every effort to keep costs low. Fees are the same for all students.

Please refer to Programs and Living In Toronto information for complete details.

Everyone comes to the English Language Program with different goals and language levels. Ask yourself: Why do I want to study English? Is it to prepare for university, to communicate with friends or to develop a career? Contact us if you are not sure which course is right for you and we can help.

The Academic English course has a curriculum that reflects the current best practices in English for Academic Purposes. The program takes a theme-based integrated skills approach using authentic texts. You will engage in academic tasks and project-based learning that develop your ability to express yourself and successfully interact in a university setting. Through the university’s on-line learning portal, you will have access to texts, resources, and materials so that you can extend your learning beyond the classroom. You will also have access to the University’s extensive library system.

Please refer to our Obtaining Visas and Study Permits page for complete information.

To benefit fully from our course and orientation activities, we highly recommend you arrive for Day One of the course. If you cannot arrive on time, you must contact us before the course begins. There is a placement test on the first day of classes. If you miss this, you will only be accepted into the course if there is space available at the appropriate level. For more information, please refer to our Late Arrivals Policy in our Registration Policies.

No. There is no application fee for the English Language Program or other School of Continuing Studies courses.

Courses are offered year-round. You can choose a course based on your schedule. See Programs.

Please see our Finding a Place To Live page for details on housing options.

Your language proficiency will be tested on the first day of class. You will then be placed in the appropriate level based on the result.

It is extremely unlikely that you are eligible to work while studying in the English Language Program. For more information about student work permits, please visit the Citizenship Immigration Canada website. International students may be eligible to work in Canada during and after university-degree studies.

In order to minimize disruption to classes for the benefit of our students, we don’t usually allow class observation. However, please contact us to enquire about this.

Yes. We recommend that you register for a course as soon as possible. You may require a Visa and Study Permit. It can be a time-consuming process and medical checks may be required. We recommend you start the process as soon as you receive the Confirmation Letter of Acceptance and receipt proving admission to our program.

There are four methods of payment:

  • VISA
  • Mastercard
  • American Express
  • Bank money order (also known as a “bank-certified cheque”)

Please note: Personal cheques or cash, and wire or bank transfers are not accepted.

Sign up with us for the latest news

Subscribe to receive email updates about free resources, news, upcoming courses and certificates, and more!