Windmill Microlending is a non-profit serving newcomers to Canada since 2005. Windmill offers low-interest, affordable career loans of up to $15,000 to help skilled immigrants and refugees pay for the costs of education and training programs, credentials, licensing and more to reach their career goals.
Windmill supports newcomers who arrive with education, skills and experience but face significant barriers to employment. For many immigrants, what prevents them from entering the labour market is a lack of financial support.
Protected persons and convention refugees can apply for Windmill’s interest-free Refugee Loan Program, as long as they do it within three years from the time they have obtained refugee status in Canada.
WHAT CAN A LOAN BE USED FOR?
- Education and training programs (two years or less), including courses
- Licensing and qualifying exams fees
- Living allowance during study time
- Travel expenses to take courses or exams not available in your area
- Credential assessment (CES, WES, ICAS, IQAS or MIFI)
- Professional association fees
- Books, course materials and work equipment
- English or French language training
- Relocation costs for employment
- Other costs related to your career may be considered
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Immigrants and internationally-educated individuals living in Canada
- Permanent residents, Canadian citizens, protected persons, convention refugees and provincial nominees
- Newcomers who intend to work in the same field they trained in outside of Canada or to apply their transferable skills to a new career
- Immigrants who don't have an undischarged bankruptcy or a consumer proposal
For more information, visit: https://windmillmicrolending.org/applicants/eligibility/