- Mix high-level strategy with experience-based learning to better understand the practice of public relations (PR) in today's communications landscape.
- Maximize your PR impact by using new platforms and channels.
Learn how businesses, governments and individuals use PR to create and maintain stakeholder relationships, drive business results and protect reputations. Whether you are new to public relations, a seasoned communications professional or a manager interested in better understanding the strategic PR landscape, you will find this certificate key to mastering public relations skills and strategies to advance in your career. This program will teach you to create PR plans, messages and narratives; leverage social and digital media; handle media relations, crisis communications and reputation management - and more. Taught by seasoned practitioners, the program pays particular attention to the Internet and the rise of social media, new realities for traditional media and demographic and cultural change.
What You'll Learn
- Create public relations plans that apply the fundamentals of research, strategy, tactics and evaluation.
- Identify and manage key audiences, issues and crises.
- Integrate digital, social and mobile platforms with traditional PR vehicles.
- Evaluate the value, impact and outcomes of PR programs.
You have three years from the start date of your first course to complete the certificate. Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) may be granted for one course.
If you have completed courses in the Public Relations Certificate prior to Fall 2014, you have the following options:
- If you have completed 2875 – Foundations of Digital Communications Strategy and Social Media and 2122 – Tools and Fundamentals of Public Relations, you will need to complete 3034 – Public Relations: Advanced Practices and Case Studies to qualify for the Strategic Public Relations certificate.
- If you have completed 2875 – Foundations of Digital Communications Strategy and Social Media and 2918 – It’s All about Audience, you will need to complete 3033 – Foundations of Strategic Public Relations to qualify for the Strategic Public Relations certificate.