As of August 1, 2018, when the BSSO designation requirements change, the Certificate in Building Science will no long qualify for the designation, but will instead prepare BSSO candidates to write the examinations and for professional development.
During the Transition Period
In-Process BSSO candidates: You will still be eligible to apply for BSSO designation if you have
- already completed both 2339 Building Science I AND 2340 Building Science II, or their approved equivalents ( see course equivalencies below**)
- already registered or are planning to register in the final offering of the remaining courses listed below, to be completed before July 31 2018
If you haven’t completed 2339 Building Science I and 2340 Building Science II courses or their equivalencies**, you will need to follow the Examination based path (see the examinations schedule on the OBEC webpage).
New BSSO candidates should follow the exam based path.
|2496 Wall & Windows Systems||16 Jan – 1 May 2018 (1 day / week, Tue)|
|2352 Roof Systems||27 Mar to 13 Apr, 2018 ( 2 days per week, Tue, Thu)|
|2347 HVAC (Online)||ONLINE 7 May – 23 Jul 2018|
Building Science Certificate | Program to Prepare BSSO Candidates
The Building Science Certificate and courses will continue to be available in the future, with adjusted fee structure and updated curriculum to reflect the BSSO designation examination learning objectives. These courses will continue to be relevant and useful for professional development, career advancement and examination preparation for BSSO designation examinations. The courses with updated curriculum and revised fees are expected to be available starting Fall 2018 session. Please check our website for updates.
** The following courses are approved equivalents of Building Science I and II courses:
- Ryerson University: BL8100 – Building Science Theory
- University of Toronto, Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering: CIV375 or CIV575 – Building Science
- University of Waterloo: CIVE507 – Building Science and Technology