Welcome to the School of Continuing Studies. For accessibility reasons, the following hot keys can be used on this website.

Using access keys varies depending on the browser you use. On the Windows operating system, using Internet Explorer, the ALT key is the trigger, then press the number associated with what section you want to get to (ie. Course Search would be [ALT + 2]).

  1. Accessibility Features
  2. Home
  3. Course Search
  4. Programs
  5. Registration
  6. About Us
  7. Contact Us
  8. Student Login
  9. Link to Home
Font Changer

Before You Register

Read the Following Before You Register

Who May Register

If you are an adult 18 years of age or older, you may register into any course you choose, including those leading to certification. Keep in mind that some courses have prerequisites. Check the course descriptions for details.

Registration Deadlines

There are no deadlines for registration in our courses. You can register right up to the first day of the course, provided space is available. We receive and process all applications on a first-come, first-served basis. Courses may fill well in advance of their starting date, so early registration is recommended.


Some courses require prerequisites. Check the course descriptions for details.

Visas and Study Permits

Our full-time English as a Second Language Program is the only course or program offered by the School that may entitle you to qualify for a student visa or study permit.

However, students from many countries may study for six months or less without a visa. Since the rules are different for each country and duration of study, please contact your nearest Canadian embassy or Canadian immigration authorities for information on how to apply, when to apply, and the type of visa needed.

We advise you to apply for your visa as early as possible. The website of many Canadian embassies, consulates and high commissions are listed at http://www.international.gc.ca/ciw-cdm/embassies-ambassades.aspx?lang=eng&view=d.

For more information on application procedures for a visa please visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Prior Learning Assessments

Advanced standing may be granted to certificate candidates whose prior experience or formal learning demonstrates that course material has been covered. To apply for advanced standing, complete the Prior Learning Assessment Application Form and mail it to:

Prior Learning Assessment
Student Services
University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
158 St. George Street
Toronto, ON M5S 2V8.

Certificate Candidates

If you are working towards certification by the School, you should ensure that you meet the applicable certificate requirements, keeping in mind the types and number of courses, applicable course hours, and any other requirements listed.   If you would like to inform the School that you are pursuing a certificate program, please call us at 416-978-2400 or email learn@utoronto.ca.
Upon completion of all requirements, complete the Certificate Request Form and submit it by fax to 416-978-6666, email it to learn@utoronto.ca or mail to:

Certificate Request
Student Services
University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
158 St. George Street
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2V8