- Learn a language that is increasingly important in culture and business.
- Improve your business prospects, travel opportunities and family relationships.
Cantonese is the native language of more than 66 million people in key regions in China including Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macau. Whether you are a traveller, heritage student, language lover, business person with international contacts or have married into a Cantonese-speaking family, this program will help you learn Cantonese. By the program's end, you'll have reached A2 in the grid used by the Council of Europe's Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Some material from B1 will also be introduced.
What You'll Learn
- Develop basic skills in reading, writing, listening to and speaking Cantonese.
- Use simple phrases and sentences to exchange information.
- Communicate matters of personal relevance, such as family information.
- Catch the main points in messages, announcements and the media.
- Understand simple advertisements, menus, timetables and personal letters.
You must complete four consecutive courses in Chinese (Cantonese) within three years of the date you register, earning an overall average grade of A (80-100 per cent) and attending at least 80 per cent of classes at each level. Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is not available for this certificate.
In-class courses are offered when enrolment numbers permit. Some courses or sections may be available only in alternate years or by private instruction.