- Learn from some of Canada's best writers, including Giller nominees and bestselling authors.
- Choose from the largest array of writing courses offered in Canada and join a vibrant community of emerging writers.
- Develop your potential, or just explore.
Good writing can be learned, with guidance from patient professional authors and a supportive community. If the time has come for you to get serious about your writing, the Certificate in Creative Writing can provide the focus and direction you've been looking for.
What You'll Learn
- Understand literary techniques in your genre.
- Apply your ability to develop a manuscript of 20,000 to 25,000 words.
- Benefit from the insights of some of Canada's top writers.
- Find support in a large, thriving writing community.
You have five years from the start date of your first course to complete the certificate. Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) may be granted for one course, either 1664 Creative Writing: Introduction or 1695 Creative Writing through Reading.
The certificate requires the equivalent of 120 hours of class time (see Required Courses), plus the submission of a Final Project to the Creative Writing Certification Panel. To prepare their final project for submission, students must be enroll in 1681 Creative Writing Final Project Tutorial, where they will be matched with a supervisor who will give them detailed feedback on two drafts of their final project.
The School of Continuing Studies cannot guarantee the availability of particular courses. Course offerings may change from year to year. Courses taken in past years at the School will not be evaluated retroactively.,Ungraded courses taken in past years at the School will not be evaluated retroactively.,You have five years from the start date of the first course to complete the certificate, including the completion of your final project. Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) may be granted for one course.
Instructors will assess writing skills in 1664 Creative Writing: Introduction. If deemed appropriate students will also be required to pass 3095 A Grammar Handbook. In that case 3095 A Grammar Handbook would count as an elective.