For recent graduates who want to develop essential job-ready employment skills now, and lay the foundation for career success to last a lifetime.
- Complement your degree with the applied business skills needed to jump-start your career.
- Apply key concepts to real – world scenarios; practicing and refining your business and communication skills.
In today's competitive job market, employers want to hire adaptable, socially aware candidates, who possess a combination of business acumen and communication skills. Be that candidate, by sharpening your understanding of business basics and gaining hands-on experience of in-demand skills – before you interview. Our Business Essentials certificate will help you develop a foundational understanding of areas that employers across industries have identified as critical, so no matter where you land, you'll have increased confidence in your ability to work with others and make a meaningful contribution to your team and organization.
Whether you have a career plan, or are unsure about your next step, a combination of business and communication skills will increase your adaptability to work in any organization – from start up to multinational. Throughout this program, you'll apply key concepts to real-world situations and receive real-time feedback from instructors and guest speakers; providing an opportunity for you to practice and gain confidence. You'll also refine your written and verbal communication competency, setting yourself up for success when communicating with your colleagues, employer or clients and gain more experience with practical skills that employers seek in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), time management, decision making, presentation skills, and working on a team.Career Opportunities:
Foundational business skills have incredible traction across industries. Whether you plan to work in a small start up, large multinational corporation or a mid-size not-for-profit, having a foundational understanding of how business works will help you to amplify the work of the teams, partners and clients you will work with throughout your career. Furthermore, this certificate may help you to refine the areas of business that are most interesting to you and provide you with a sense of how you want to carve out the first steps in your career.
What You'll Learn
- Understand the fundamental key terminology and concepts of business
- Develop a foundational understanding of the varied business disciplines such as economics, global business, entrepreneurship, accounting, law, marketing & human resources
- Apply your knowledge and critical thinking to analyze and create practical improvements and solutions
- Acquire an insight into the changing trends in the business world and the required skill and knowledge competencies that employers are looking for
- Develop your time management, workplace communication and collaboration skills
|Semester||Spring/Summer - 18|
|Campus||St. George Campus|
22 May 2018 - 15 Jun 2018
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Monday
9:00AM - 5:00PM
The withdrawal and transfer deadline is before the third class.
Textbooks will be provided, included in the cost of the course.
Laptops or tablets are required for this program.
Please register by May 1, 2018.
This in-class course uses Blackboard (UofT Learning Portal) to post course materials. Go here for information on when you will receive your access information.