- Learn the fundamental concepts, methods and techniques of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS).
- Gain hands-on experience using the latest proprietary and open-source GIS and RS software.
- Apply your newfound knowledge and skills to meet real-world environmental challenges.
Advance your career by harnessing the power of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Remote Sensing. Whether you work in environmental management, geography, biological studies or asset management, this four-course certificate will give you the knowledge and skills you need to succeed in a rapidly expanding field. You'll explore the theory and techniques of GIS and Remote Sensing from the ground up, and how they can help you acquire, store and analyze geospatial data, and correctly interpret satellite images. You'll learn how to process geospatial data, and combine the graphic power of maps with computer database technologies to better understand problems and identify solutions. You'll learn to map existing environmental conditions and develop models that help predict future conditions and trends. You'll use the latest GIS and RS software packages to design and develop your own customized tools. Whatever your discipline, you'll emerge better prepared to meet your organization's most urgent challenges.
What You'll Learn
- How GIS and Remote Sensing have revolutionized modern map-making and research.
- Apply GIS tools to acquire, edit, store and display spatial data and satellite images.
- Apply spatial-analysis and data-modelling skills to environmental management.
- Collaborate and share geospatial data using Internet and mobile technologies.
You have a maximum of three years to complete this certificate. You must complete two required courses and two of four electives. Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) exemption may be granted for two courses, whether required or elective.