Certificate in Life Science Enterprise
The certificate in Life Science Enterprise is designed for individuals with a background in the field of sciences who are looking to enhance their skills and prepare for employment within the life science sector.
Employers in the life science sector seek professionals who are ready and able to apply their skills effectively within a business environment. Enhancing business communication, ensuring accurate application of good laboratory practice and good manufacturing practice and understanding how and where to apply your skills in this sector, enhances employer confidence and puts you on the path towards employment and future success.
Note: Financial assistance is available to internationally trained individuals through the Ontario Bridge Participant Assistance Program (OBPAP) provided by the Government of Ontario.
For more information, please email email@example.com or phone 905-569-4508.
- Participants will gain a solid understanding of the Canadian Life Science sector with a focus on employment strategies.
- Each participant will be provided with resources to develop an evolving employment-focused network within their field of interest
- Familiarity with the roles of Health Canada and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- A solid understanding of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Good Laboratory Practices (GLP)
- Understanding the significance of documentation practices and types of documentation including master production documents, specifications, records, reports and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Development of creative communication and negotiation techniques for the workplace
- Ability to deliver clear, persuasive, plain-language messages
- Understanding of the language, stages and techniques of dispute resolution and its multidisciplinary nature
- Learners must complete all 3 courses to receive a certificate.
- Learners have 2 years from the start date of their first course to complete this certificate.
The main themes of the program are shown below by course:
Effective Communication and Negotiation
In business, communication skills are essential not only to securing relevant employment, but also to growing your career. Acquiring well developed written and verbal skills allows you to express your ideas clearly and concisely, minimizing confusion in the workplace, and maximizing your employment opportunities.
This course provides managers and aspiring managers with the knowledge they need to communicate, negotiate and interact more effectively with employees, clients, customers, superiors and peers.
Employment in Life Sciences
This course will include an overview of business basics in the life sciences sector, with a focus on employment strategies, industry growth and innovation. It will also include an overview of economic indicators and how these drive employment. Learners will create an individual employment plan for the life science sector and acquire the skills necessary to effectively network within this field. Learners will also receive valuable industry insight through guest speakers representing various sectors within the life sciences.
Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) and Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs) are fundamental for successful pharmaceutical and laboratory operations. The GMP/GLP course is designed to help participants better understand the regulations and expectations of Health Canada HPFBI and US FDA GMP/GLP Guidelines and how these regulations apply to the manufacturing, distribution and importation of pharmaceutical, radiopharmaceutical, biological, and veterinary drugs. As well, participants will gain essential skills on effective SOP writing and GMP auditing. Participants will also receive valuable insight from guest speakers who work within the pharmaceutical industry.