Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario (CPA Ontario)
The School of Continuing Studies is the first in Canada to have its courses recognized by CPA Canada’s new National Recognition Standards for Post-Secondary Institutions. The School’s courses meet the pre-requisite requirements for entry into the CPA Professional Education Program (PEP) and by completing them you gain a head start in becoming a CPA.
CPA Ontario has announced some changes to the CPA PREP Program, effective September 1, 2016.
New name and course codes.
- The CPA PREP Program has been renamed to ‘preparatory courses’.
- This name change is being made to better reflect the existing requirement for learners to only take the courses they require for entry to the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP).
- Previously, PREP courses were also known by their module number, but going forward the 14 preparatory courses will have new course codes, see the chart below.
Announcement: CPA Ontario Retroactive Course Recognition
- Courses completed on May 1, 2012, or subsequent to this date. will be recognized.
- All prerequisite courses must meet the CPA Ontario currency of education requirements which are required courses in Financial Reporting, Strategy and Governance, Management Accounting, Audit and Assurance, Finance and Taxation must have been completed in the immediate past ten years prior to enrolment in CPA PEP. Exceptions include courses considered to be at the introductory level in Financial Reporting and Management Accounting, which may have been completed more than 10 years prior to enrolment in CPA PEP. Required courses in Economics, Canadian Law and Quantitative Methods/Statistics may have been completed more than 10 years prior to enrolment in CPA PEP.
About the Chartered Professional Accountant of Ontario (CPA Ontario)
- CPA Ontario grants a professional designation to its members under the authorization of provincial legislation. CPA Ontario is a self-regulating body that maintains the highest standards, practices and rules of professional conduct to protect the public interest.
- CPA Ontario supports 85,000 members and 23,000 students protecting the public interest, promoting and championing the profession with the business community and other stakeholders in Ontario.
Become a Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA)
A CPA designation provides you with the skills and knowledge that are in high demand. Being a CPA is about having the designation that gives you the opportunity to build the career you want. It’s your ticket to a world of opportunities in accounting and finance. CPAs are in demand thanks to their financial expertise, strategic thinking, business insight and management skills.
What are Preparatory Courses? What is the CPA PEP (Professional Education Program) Program?
- Preparatory Courses, previously called the CPA PREP Program, are 14 courses you must complete to gain admission to the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP)
- CPA PEP Programs (CPA’s Professional Education Program)
- Once you have completed the necessary prerequisite 14 preparatory courses modules in the CPA PREP Program, and met the other requirements (see below) you enterfor admission into the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP).
- CPA PEP is a two-year, part-time graduate-level program that only CPA Ontario offers. The PEP is the educational component of the CPA training that prepares you for the CPA final examination and certification as a CPA. See the CPA Certification Program diagram.